Propagating configuration changes throughout the Zscaler cloud is a two-step process:
- Make your configuration changes (e.g., adding, editing, or deleting policy rules), and then click Save to store the changes on the local database.
- Queue the changes for activation. Activating the changes effectively pushes the configuration changes to the Central Authority (CA), which among other things, serves as the central repository for policies and configuration settings. The Zscaler Enforcement Nodes (ZENs) retrieve the policies from the CA and apply them to your organization's internet traffic. Because all policies are centrally stored on the CA, the latest policies are always applied, no matter to which ZEN your users connect.
Activating Changes in the Admin Portal
To activate changes in the Admin Portal:
- Hover over the Activation menu near the bottom left.
- Click Activate.
If there are no other admins editing, the service sends the updates to the CA immediately. If there are multiple admins editing, the service pushes the changes to the CA after all admins activate their changes.
About the Activation Menu
The Activation menu displays your activation status and the status of other admins who are editing.
- MY ACTIVATION STATUS: Displays your activation status.
- No Activations Pending: You haven't saved or activated your changes.
- Editing: You saved your changes but haven't activated them.
- Activation Queued: Your activated changes are pending and haven't been pushed to the CA. This status displays when you activate your changes, and there are other admins still editing. The service pushes the changes to the CA after all admins activate their changes.
- CURRENTLY EDITING: Lists the usernames of admins who saved their changes but haven't activated them.
- QUEUED ACTIVATIONS: Lists the usernames of admins with pending activations. When an admin activates their changes and there are other admins still editing, the changes are queued for activation, and the admin's username is moved to this list. A queued activation cannot be canceled.
- Force Activate: Immediately pushes all saved changes to the CA. Only super admins can Force Activate changes.
The Activation menu displays the number of admins who are currently editing.
The service automatically activates an admin's saved changes if the admin:
- is inactive for 30 minutes
- logs out
- closes the browser